What is Pentaho
Pentaho is an open source Business Intelligence (BI) Suite that comes in with either commercial support (http://www.pentaho.com/) and or community support (http://community.pentaho.com/).
This post provides instructions for the Pentaho community edition suite.
Install Pentaho BI Server 4.5 on Windows 7 x64
Your steps may vary slightly as I had an older version of the JDK installed. However, the gist is “just click Next till your done”.
- Download the Java JDK from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html.
- After downloading, double-click the installer, which will be named something like: (the name of your file may vary depending on which version you have downloaded)
- Click Next.
- Click Next. Wait for the installation to finish.
- Click Next. Wait for the JRE installation to finish.
- Click Continue.
- Click Next to start the JavaFX SDK Setup.
- Click Next.
- Click Close.
Add Java to your PATH
You should now have the Java SDK installed into something like (your exact path may vary based on the version):
- Click Start.
- Right-click on Computer, click Properties.
- In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.
- Select the Advanced tab, then click Environment Variables…
- In System Variables, scroll till you find Path.
- Select Path, click Edit…
- Add the Java bin folder to your path by appending ;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_04\bin to the end of the Path Variable Value.
- Click OK.
- Click New…
- In Variable name, enter: PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME
- In Variable value, enter: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_04
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
As last step check that your path is set correctly.
- Open Powershell.
- Type java -version.
- Then type javac -version.
- For each command above, you should see the correct Java version (for me its 1.7.0_04)
- Open a command prompt.
- Type echo %PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME%
- You should see the following as output: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_04
If you want to show the value of PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME in PowerShell, then enter:
I had to reboot to get this to work.
Install Pentaho BI Server
Now that we have Java installed we can get on with our main task of installing the Pentaho BI Server.
- Download the Pentaho BI Server from http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Latest+Stable+Builds. I’m using the current stable build which is biserver-ce-4.5.0-stable.zip.
- Open Windows Explorer and create new folder: C:\Program Files\Pentaho.
- Unzip biserver-ce-4.5.0-stable.zip.
- Next, copy the biserver-ce and administration-console folder into C:\Program Files\Pentaho.
Update the Permissions to allow the server to be run as a developer’s regular user (i.e. not Administrator)
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files.
- Right-click the Pentaho folder, click Properties.
- Select the Security tab, click Edit.
- Click Add.
- Enter the developer’s username, then click OK.
- In the Allow column, check Full control.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
Start the Pentaho Server
I am not going to cover automatic startup of the Pentaho Server on Windows because my assumption is that some developers choose to run Pentaho on Windows, but that product deployments
- Open Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files\Pentaho\biserver-ce.
- Double-click start-pentaho.bat.
- If the Windows Security Alert dialog box pops up, then click Allow access.
I recommend that you resize the command window that displays the Tomcat messages. This will make it easier to read messages that are output by Tomcat.
- In the top left corner of the Window, click the Java icon.
- Click Properties.
- Select the Layout tab.
- Set the Width = 120
- Set the Height = 45
- Click OK.
Login to the Pentaho User Console
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:8080.
- Click Evaluation Login and select a user type to login as.
Login to the Pentaho Administration Console
- Open Windows Explorer to C:\Program Files\Pentaho\administration-console.
- Double-click start-pac.bat.
- Open a web browser to http://localhost:8099.
- Enter a User Name of admin.
- Enter a Password of password.
- Click Log In.
That’s it. The core Pentaho BI server is installed and ready for development. However, a good next step is to change the database that Pentaho uses, but we’ll leave that for another post.
30 thoughts on “Install Pentaho BI Server 4.5 on Windows 7 x64”
Thank you very much. I’m appreciate your guide for installing Pentaho software on windows7.
Hi i don find biserver-ce and administration-console folders in the extracted files??
could u pls help
You likely downloaded the wrong package.
could u pls send me the right link?
Follow the steps in the “Install Pentaho BI Server” section. Specifically, download biserver-ce-4.5.0-stable.zip.
Obrigado… As suas instruções foram indispensaveis na instalacao
how can we insyall biserver-manual-ce-4.5.0-stable
how can we install biserver-manual-ce-4.5.0-stable
Sorry, when I start BI server I got error “jdbcexceptionreporter socket creation error”. Could you please help me to solve it? Thank you very much
Hi there, I follow each steps for installation but when I execute start-pentaho.bat, there’s errors shown in tomcat. could you please help me to fix it?
hello sir. is there any tutorial for connection pentaho to MSSQL Server 2005 ?
I havenot created one, but there may be one on the net.
Double-click start-pac.bat.// i can run till this step
Open a web browser to http://localhost:8099.// but this link is not getting opened
i dont know the bug that is created.can any one help me to get out of it?
Then enter the following commands:
cd 'C:\Program Files\Pentaho\biserver-ce'
You should see an error message here describing the problem, such as JAVA_HOME not being set, no JRE found, etc.
But my question is to administrator console ,not about biserver-ce.
hi, but what is the user-pass for http://localhost:8099 ? i havent specify it anywhere and the one told to be default (admin/password) doesnt work..
The default username/password is admin/password.
However, if that does not work try admin/pentaho (this may be the password on enterprise edition…but I have not confirmed).
If the above does not work, then check that the following file exists and that the permissions are set correctly:
If none of that works, then check the error messages from the web server to see if there is an error that’s preventing login.
It has been very useful information.
Question: already the post there where you set BD?
This is really a nice tutorial.
But I am facing a problem to render the server . It shows a scenario like the following –
java.io.FileNotFoundException :C:\Program Files\Pentaho\biserver-ce\tomcat\conf\Catalina\localhost\pentaho.xml
I am using packages 4.8.0 (latest).
Is it problem with the package? or anything else.
Please provide a solution, it’s urgent.
Thanks in advance,
I’d start by checking your paths, env vars, file permissions and whether or not the file is actually there.
I’d also Google for a solution and check the forums, plus SO.
Awesome… thank you so much … this is exactly I was looking for getting started with Pentaho…. Really appreciate it Akbar…
Hello, I’ve been trying to install pentaho but I can not, will not let me enter http://localhost:8099. maybe that when making PENTAHO_HOME PATH And I do well, but will not let me install it, and enter sel power tells me that no start-pentaho.bat encuenta, and in my folder biserver-ce. no start-pentaho.bat I get, I just start-pentaho appears not to do wrong, if the route you could tell me that I have to put exactly on that route?
now I have
C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.7.0_40 \ lib: PATH
C: \ Program Files \ Java \ jdk1.7.0_40: JAVA_HOME
greetings and thank you very much
very useful tutorial…I have a question, have you created the other tutorial on “how to change the database that Pentaho uses”, or can you help me?
because I have a problem, I tried to create a new Connection from the administration console, but I receive the “Connection attempt failed: No suitable driver found for 127.0.0.1:3307” error for each driver in the list. And I don’t know how to fix it.
Thanks !! I would like to post a solution to the issue i faced today while starting Pentaho BI in Windows 7 system
I was getting the error – GettingStartedDB-spring.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Exception opening port “H2 TCP Server – Port may be in use.
Solution was to edit your Start-pentaho.bat and add below line to CATALINA_OPTS
set CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -Dh2.bindAddress=localhost
This resolved my issue.
Thanks a lot …